Jo Gaines believes in making values based decisions. By approaching leadership with a blend of values, self-understanding and empathy, she stands out amongst other sales leaders.
Jo’s start in the workforce came by doing the jobs nobody else wanted to do.
She began by making white sauce at a neighbourhood café in her teenage years, eventually graduating to work at the local KFC. During her time at the fast food chain she taught herself to do every role. She wasn’t about to be limited to just the ‘girl’s roles’ in the front of house.
This unshakable work ethic has defined Jo’s impressive career. A career in which she has spent over 20 years working for, and with, technology and media companies. Think industry giants like CBS, Yahoo and Sensis.
Today, she is Area Vice President for Salesforce Cloud Sales, leading the company’s business development and marketing efforts.
But, before taking on the role of AVP, Jo had an important decision to make: Did this new role align with her personal values? The values of integrity, determination, and equality?
In our discussion Jo shares her approach to making values based decisions. She also shares how you can identify your own personal values, those at the very core of who you are. Her success as AVP is a testament to the power that defining and understanding your values can bring.
Jo’s been a huge personal inspiration to me. Her energy, personality and approach to leadership creates an environment where everyone feels empowered to pursue their wildest dreams. So, I was beyond excited to have her on The Females in Tech Show.
In this episode we cover:
- Jo Gaines career journey to Salesforce Cloud Sales AVP (7:36)
- Sexism that still happens today, the reasons behind it, and her advice to women who experience it (14:44)
- Values based decisions
- What is it? (19:09)
- How to handle FOMO whilst staying true to your values (26:32)
- Learn how to start saying no, and stop people pleasing (29:10)
- How to avoid projecting your values onto others, or judging them for having different values (33:26)
- Jo shares advice to all single mothers who want to have it all (36:45)
- And so much more!
- Jo Gaines on Twitter, and LinkedIn
- Jo Gaines Career Story
- Dr John Demartini Value Determination Quiz
- Brene Brown, Dare to Lead Values (PDF)
- Females in Tech Show, episode 20, Career path to CEO with Pip Marlow, Salesforce ANZ CEO
- Book, Misbehaving – The Making of Behavioral Economics, Richard Thaler (author)
- Book, Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness, Richard Thaler (author)
[Full Disclaimer: Some of these links may be affiliate links, which means we receive compensation, at no extra cost to you, if you purchase through the link.]
Thank you for listening
I am grateful for the opportunity to serve you. Thank you for taking the time to listen to the Females in Tech Show.
My aim is to inspire and support you to reach your goals, and provide you with practical tips on how to be the best version of yourself.
If you did enjoy the show, then I'd like to ask three things, so I can inspire and support more career motivated women ( and men).
- SUBSCRIBE: search for “The Females in Tech Show” in your favourite podcast app (eg. Apple Podcasts, Google Podcast, Stitcher), and subscribe to the show to ensure you never miss an episode.
- REVIEW: write a review for the show in your favourite podcast app telling us what you love, and also where we can improve.
- SHARE: this episode with friends and colleagues who might benefit from the content, as well as grow and support our community.
How can we better serve you?
Ultimately the show is for you, the females in tech community, which begs the question… How can we better serve you?
Tell us what topics you’d like to learn more about, or will help advance your career in technology. Complete the form at this link and suggest a podcast topic.
I’ll be sure to give you a shout out in the podcast episode if your topic is chosen.