Helen Lea knows what it takes to create an integrated employee experience. A veteran of managing people, she now works to bring diverse teams together in the name of employee experience.
When it comes to getting the best out of people, Helen Lea knows what she’s doing. At just 29 she was given a seat at the executive table by being made the Director of HR of a large, international corporation. She hasn’t looked back since.
Today, she uses those skills as the Chief Experience Officer at MYOB online accounting software.
What is Employee Experience (EX)?
The term ‘Employee Experience’ is thrown around a lot, but what does it actually mean?
Employee Experience is a collection of functions that come together, where we seek to create an integrated service experience inside the organisation” – Helen Lea
At MYOB this approach has culminated in the integrated help desk. This is a one-stop-shop where employees can get answers or advice on any type of question they might have.
Creating the Next Generation of EX
You can't solve or think creatively about the new challenges of work unless you think about them differently” – Helen Lea
In order to do this you need to break down barriers between departments that were previously separate. You do this by uniting diverse teams with a shared sense of objectives.
This leads to better synergies, better process and better solutions.
It was such a wonderful experience chatting with Helen. I was absolutely floored by not only her incredible depth of knowledge, but her willingness to share it. I have no doubt you will get a lot out of our chat!
In this episode we cover:
- Helen’s career path from HR Development Manager in South Africa, to her current role as Chief Employee Experience Officer at MYOB, including what an Experience Officers does.
- Helen shares the process of her husband becoming the primary caregiver, and advice for women who want to have a career and be a mother.
- Helen talks about next generation employment experience and the initiatives that MYOB has implemented to improve the employee experience.
- The role diversity and inclusion plays in employee experience.
- MYOB’s developHER program
- And so much more
- Helen Lea on Linkedin
- Forbes article, Employee Experience Is The Future Of Work
- MYOB research, 75 per cent of women surveyed believe jobs of the future will require skills in STEM, yet the majority are ill-prepared for it
- MYOB’s developHER program
- Book, Alpha Girls by Julian Guthrie
[Full Disclaimer: Some of these links may be affiliate links, which means we receive compensation, at no extra cost to you, if you purchase through the link.]
Thank you for listening
I am grateful for the opportunity to serve you. Thank you for taking the time to listen to the Females in Tech Show.
My aim is to inspire and support you to reach your goals, and provide you with practical tips on how to be the best version of yourself.
If you did enjoy the show, then I'd like to ask three things, so I can inspire and support more career motivated women ( and men).
- SUBSCRIBE: search for “The Females in Tech Show” in your favourite podcast app (eg. Apple Podcasts, Google Podcast, Stitcher), and subscribe to the show to ensure you never miss an episode.
- REVIEW: write a review for the show in your favourite podcast app telling us what you love, and also where we can improve.
- SHARE: this episode with friends and colleagues who might benefit from the content, as well as grow and support our community.
How can we better serve you?
Ultimately the show is for you, the females in tech community, which begs the question… How can we better serve you?
Tell us what topics you’d like to learn more about, or will help advance your career in technology. Complete the form at this link and suggest a podcast topic.
I’ll be sure to give you a shout out in the podcast episode if your topic is chosen.