Research shows meditation improves focus, productivity and memory. When your mind is clear and focused, your body is relaxed and calm, leading to improved productivity.
In a 2012 study1 to determine the effects of meditation on the multitasking behavior of knowledge workers, researchers found only those trained in meditation stayed on tasks longer, and switched between tasks less frequently. They also enjoyed their tasks more, and showed improved memory for the tasks performed.
Meditation is also proven to reduce stress and anxiety, as well as improve sleep. Better sleep reduces stress, and improves mental clarity and memory.
In this episode of The Females in Tech Show, I chat with Sydney-based meditation master Tom Cronin on how meditation improves focus and productivity.
Tom Cronin spent 26 years in finance markets as one of Sydney’s leading bond and swap brokers. He discovered meditation in the early stages of his career, when the anxiety and chaos he was experiencing hit a crisis point. Meditation completely transformed his world, both personally and professionally.
Today Tom’s mission is to inspire one billion people to meditate daily and achieve stillness. He is the author of six books, and is co-creator of The Portal documentary and book created as part of a bold, global vision to overcome the chronic levels of anxiety, depression, PTSD and trauma the world is facing today.
Here’s what we cover in this episode of The Females in Tech Show:
- Tom’s journey from stock broker to meditation coach, including how meditation helped him overcome anxiety, agoraphobia and depression (4:47)
- Why business executives are introducing meditation into their daily lives (14:39)
- We talk about an awakened leader and what it means to become one (17:00)
- Tom explains vedic meditation, and how it differs from other meditation practices (26:22)
- The best way to start practicing meditation (27:48)
- We talk about the recent launch of his documentary and book, The Portal, and partner app (34:33)
- Tom shares his advice on how to overcome fear – this is so powerful! (40:21)
- And so much more!
- Tom Cronin meditation coach
- The Portal documentary and book, and mobile App
- The Portal Masterclass Digital Course
- Tom Cronin on Instagram, and Facebook
- Book, The Way of the Superior Man by David Deida
- 1 Research paper, The Effects of Mindfulness Meditation Training on Multitasking in a High-stress Information Environment (May 2012)
[Full Disclaimer: Some of these links may be affiliate links, which means we receive compensation, at no extra cost to you, if you purchase through the link.]
Thank you for listening
I am grateful for the opportunity to serve you. Thank you for taking the time to listen to the Females in Tech Show.
My aim is to inspire and support you to reach your goals, and provide you with practical tips on how to be the best version of yourself.
If you did enjoy the show, then I’d like to ask three things, so I can inspire and support more career motivated women ( and men).
- SUBSCRIBE: search for “The Females in Tech Show” in your favourite podcast app (eg. Apple Podcasts, Google Podcast, Stitcher), and subscribe to the show to ensure you never miss an episode.
- REVIEW: write a review for the show in your favourite podcast app telling us what you love, and also where we can improve.
- SHARE: this episode with friends and colleagues who might benefit from the content, as well as grow and support our community.
How can we better serve you?
Ultimately the show is for you, the females in tech community, which begs the question… How can we better serve you?
Tell us what topics you’d like to learn more about, or will help advance your career in technology. Complete the form at this link and suggest a podcast topic.
I’ll be sure to give you a shout out in the podcast episode if your topic is chosen.