Diversity in the workplace is a hot topic at the moment, and something many organisations are putting greater focus on. Both locally within Australia, and globally.
A diverse workforce is not solely about gender, it incorporates a broad spectrum of characteristics such as:
- Ethnicity and cultural background
- Sexual orientation
Whilst that can be challenging to implement, there are many benefits to achieving a more diverse workforce.
7 Benefits of Diversity in the Workplace
- Improve the reputation of the company with diverse and inclusive hiring
- Open the pool of candidates to attract and hire the best talent
- Remove “group think” and rapidly expand innovative thinking and solutions
- Proven increase in employee satisfaction in the workplace
- Competitive advantage
- Increased employee retention
- Reduced operating costs, and improved productivity, resulting in increased return on investment
While the benefits are obvious, there are some challenges with implementing diversity in the workplace. Updating and maintaining company and HR policies, and operating systems and procedures is today’s constantly evolving world make it difficult.
Keeping up with diversity can be challenging.
Fortunately today’s guest on The Females in Tech Show is Rhonda Brighton-Hall, who is recognised as one of Australia’s foremost experts in human resources, specialising in leadership, diversity and the future of work.
In this episode Rhonda provides an overview of her career, and shares insights into how businesses can create a more diverse and inclusive workplace. Here’s an outline of what we cover:
- Rhonda Brighton-Hall’s global career journey (4:24)
- Her business MWAH (Making Work Absolutely Human) and what it’s about (9:56)
- We talk about diversity in the workplace, why it’s important and the ROI for organisations (21:28)
- Some of the common mistakes made by organisations regarding diversity (23:36)
- Rhonda shares some inspirational diversity success stories (29:57)
- We discuss the outcome of the Happy Workers Report (34:02)
- How privilege plays a big role in creating a diverse workplace (24:54)
- What the future of diversity inclusion look like (41:03)
- Rhonda also shares what employees and senior executives can start doing today to close the diversity gap (45:06)
This episode is a goodie! Grab a cup of tea and your notepad, this is an episode you don’t want to miss.
- mwah website, making work absolutely human
- Rhonda Brighton-Hall on LinkedIn
- mwah on LinkedIn
- mwah on Facebook
- Case Study: Future of Diversity and Inclusion with the Domain Group
- Case Study: Flexibility Requires Different Mindset with South Australian Police
- Happy Workers Report Research Paper
- Privilege: The Quietly Polarising Conversation that we never have, and why we should (If you become a member of the mwah website you can access the Privilege Survey)
- Article 23 Podcast
- Power of Others – Michael Bond
[Full Disclaimer: Some of these links may be affiliate links, which means we receive compensation, at no extra cost to you, if you purchase through the link.]
Thank you for listening
I am grateful for the opportunity to serve you. Thank you for taking the time to listen to the Females in Tech Show.
My aim is to inspire and support you to reach your goals, and provide you with practical tips on how to be the best version of yourself.
If you did enjoy the show, then I’d like to ask three things, so I can inspire and support more career motivated women ( and men).
- SUBSCRIBE: search for “The Females in Tech Show” in your favourite podcast app (eg. Apple Podcasts, Google Podcast, Stitcher), and subscribe to the show to ensure you never miss an episode.
- REVIEW: write a review for the show in your favourite podcast app telling us what you love, and also where we can improve.
- SHARE: this episode with friends and colleagues who might benefit from the content, as well as grow and support our community.
How can we better serve you?
Ultimately the show is for you, the females in tech community, which begs the question… How can we better serve you?
Tell us what topics you’d like to learn more about, or will help advance your career in technology. Complete the form at this link and suggest a podcast topic.
I’ll be sure to give you a shout out in the podcast episode if your topic is chosen.