Lisa Teh provides a compelling argument for why you need a mentor. In simple terms, a mentor will help you avoid wasting your time, and energy, and money. Ultimately they’ll get you the result you want, faster. Who doesn’t want that.
If you need more convincing, you only have to look at her list of achievements.
Lisa has founded not one, but two businesses – digital marketing firm, CODI Agency, and mentoring platform, Lisnic. She is the co-creator of 101 Lifestyle, a natural toothpaste and mouthwash that is stocked in Australian beauty retailer, MECCA. Plus, Lisa is the Editor-in-Chief for Coutouring, a fashion, beauty and lifestyle website, and co-author of 2 best-selling books, Australian Style, and Australian Beauty.
Why you need a mentor
Lisa Teh is the first to admit that she made a lot of mistakes on her entrepreneurial journey. However once she started working with mentors, she avoided some potentially costly mistakes.
Like the time she was developing her beauty brand 101 Lifestyle. Her mentor gave her advice on packaging, which saved her thousands of dollars in expensive and unusable packaging. The same mentor gave advice on the importance of product IP that could have increased her manufacturing costs after launching.
Lisa believes so strongly in mentoring and coaching that it’s influenced her latest venture, Lisnic.
Mentoring platform, Lisnic
Lisa Teh co-founded online platform Lisnic with leading Australian entrepreneur, Nick Bell. Lisnic is a platform designed to connect Business and Mind Coaches with Mentees looking to fast track their career, or scale their business.
People are quick to invest in physical health, for example, fitness apps, gym classes and personal trainers. However they’re not as quick to consider the health of their mind, business or career.
Lisa strongly believes if you want to be the best, why not pay for an expert to help you get there. You don’t know what you don’t know, so why not get access to that information.
Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others.Otto von Bismarck
Different types of coaches and mentors
- Mind coach can change your perspective, and help you to build mental toughness in challenging times, regardless of whether you’re a business owner or an employee.
- Business mentors with relevant industry experience can be priceless in terms of helping you avoid costly mistakes, and providing you with shortcuts to fast-track your success.
- Business coach can help improve your results, and implement the structure and processes required to grow your business, and or free your time.
- Career coach or mentor can help guide your career progression, and facilitate introductions.
It’s important to find a mentor or coach who comes from the same, or similar industry. For example, technology, or digital marketing. Or, has experienced similar challenges that you are going through. For example, raising money (for business), or securing a distribution partner.
Lisnic is designed to connect mentees with the right coach or mentor based on their needs, and relevant experience. A mentee will post a “project” outlining their specific challenge or need, and coaches and mentors will submit their interest in working with them, providing the mentee with different options.
The Importance of Paid Coaching Engagements
Lisa believes people often view mentors as a free resource, and as a result, they seldom act on anything. At the same time, there needs to be something in it for the mentor. Time is their most precious resource.
Therefore all projects on Lisnic are paid engagements. Making it more sustainable for mentors and coaches. And ensuring the mentee is motivated to maximise the session, and take action on the recommendations.
I could have talked for hours with Lisa, she was so generous with her time. Here’s an overview of what we cover in the full episode:
- Lisa’s entrepreneurial journey, transitioning from a corporate job to start three digital businesses. Plus create a beauty brand that is stocked in Australian beauty retailer Mecca, and co-author 2 best-selling books, Australian Style and Australian Beauty (5.47)
- The importance of having a mentor, and how having a mentor saved her thousands of dollars (15:00)
- Her latest business Lisnic, on online platform to connect coaches with mentees, and how to apply to be a mentee, mentor or coach (14:50)
- We also switch gears to talk about mental health. Lisa shares how she incorporates mental health practices into her busy schedule (30:12)
- And so much more!
- Codi Agency website, LinkedIn
- 101 Lifestyle toothpaste and mouthwash at MECCA
- Fashion, beauty and lifestyle website, Couturing
- Lisnic coach and mentoring website
- Lisa Teh on LinkedIn, Instagram @lisateh_
- Book, Australian Style, The Who’s Who of Fashion, Lisa Teh (author)
- Book, Australian Beauty: Inspiration and Advice From the Beauty Set, Lisa The (author)
[Full Disclaimer: Some of these links may be affiliate links, which means we receive compensation, at no extra cost to you, if you purchase through the link.]
Thank you for listening
I am grateful for the opportunity to serve you. Thank you for taking the time to listen to the Females in Tech Show.
My aim is to inspire and support you to reach your goals, and provide you with practical tips on how to be the best version of yourself.
If you did enjoy the show, then I’d like to ask three things, so I can inspire and support more career motivated women ( and men).
- SUBSCRIBE: search for “The Females in Tech Show” in your favourite podcast app (eg. Apple Podcasts, Google Podcast, Stitcher), and subscribe to the show to ensure you never miss an episode.
- REVIEW: write a review for the show in your favourite podcast app telling us what you love, and also where we can improve.
- SHARE: this episode with friends and colleagues who might benefit from the content, as well as grow and support our community.
How can we better serve you?
Ultimately the show is for you, the females in tech community, which begs the question… How can we better serve you?
Tell us what topics you’d like to learn more about, or will help advance your career in technology. Complete the form at this link and suggest a podcast topic.
I’ll be sure to give you a shout out in the podcast episode if your topic is chosen.